New Canvas Gradebook Features
The Canvas gradebook has been updated – New features mean workflow changes for the way instructors and admin support use the gradebook
Muting / Posting Policy
The new grade posting policy is the biggest change in the new gradebook. Previously, instructors or admin staff would mute an each assignment when creating it or prior to grading; then admin or tutors would unmute the assignment to release the grade. This was done in the gradebook by clicking on the ‘eye’ icon to mute or unmute (release) the marks.
The New Gradebook allows instructors to set a Grade Post Policy for all assignments in a course with a few clicks. All GSA 19/20 courses have been set up with a ‘manual posting policy’, which means all course marks and feedback are hidden until manually posted.
Grades are posted when the ‘eye’ is clicked in the top left corner of speedgrader and ‘Post Grades’ is selected.
New Gradebook Resources
- How to use New Gradebook – Overview of how to use the New Gradebook in Canvas
- Functionality Comparison: Current vs. New Canvas Gradebook – View a comparison between the current Gradebook and the New Gradebook with links to documentation
- Instructor New Gradebook Guides – Find quick links to learn how to use the New Gradebook for Instructors
- Student New Gradebook Guides – Find quick links to learn how to use the New Gradebook for Students
- New Gradebook and SpeedGrader Muting Behavior Changes – View a comparison between the previous and new muting behavior in both the New Gradebook and SpeedGrader, complete with various scenarios illustrated by short videos