Gathering Feedback from your Students using an Ungraded Survey
One of the primary uses of the Canvas quiz tool at the GSA is for gathering feedback and opinions from your students. This feedback can be used to improve course design and evaluate course delivery. The best quiz type for gathering feedback and opinions from your students is an ungraded survey.
Creating an ungraded survey
To create an ungraded survey:
- Visit the Quizzes link in your Course Navigation menu and click on the + Quiz button
- Give your quiz a title and enter instructions for students in the text box below
- Choose Ungraded survey as your quiz type
- Choose whether you would like to keep responses anonymous and whether students can have multiple attempts at your survey
- Choose whether students should be able to review their own responses and untick ‘show students correct answers’
- Give your survey a due date and fill in the ‘Available from’ and ‘Until’ dates.
Adding questions to your survey
The next step is to create your questions by clicking on the questions tab at the top of your survey.
To add a question to your survey, click on the ‘+ New Question’ button.
There are a number of question types you can choose from. The question type you choose relates to what kind of feedback you’d like to gather.
- Free Text/essay: if you have open questions, such as ‘What could be improved?’ you can use an essay question, which will provide students with a text field, where they can write as much or as little feedback as they’d like to give.
- Likert scale questions are often used in surveys to gather more focused feedback from respondents. Likert scale questions measure the degree to which your respondents agree or disagree with a statement. Please see the table below for an example of a Likert scale question:
|Strongly agree||Agree||Not sure||Disagree||Strongly disagree|
|Canvas has all the information I need to progress through the course week by week.||X|
|Miro is a useful tool for mind mapping.||X|
If you would like to create Likert scale type questions in an ungraded survey on Canvas, you can use the multiple dropdowns question type to do so. This question type is the most similar to Likert scale questions. For more information, please see the Canvas Instructor Guide How do I create Likert scale quiz questions?
Viewing the results of your ungraded survey
Unlike graded quizzes and surveys, ungraded surveys do not display in the Gradebook or in Speedgrader. To view the results of your ungraded survey:
- Select the Quizzes item in your Course Navigation.
- Click on the name of your survey
- Click on the three dots next to the Edit button
- Select ‘Show student survey results’ to look at each students individual response
To download a CSV file of all responses to your survey,
- Select Survey Statistics
Select Student Analysis to generate a CSV file with all of the responses to your survey
Please note that when you’ve reviewing the results of your survey by question, Canvas will always show one of the answers as the correct answer. However, this can be ignored, and students will not see a “correct” answer.
Help with Ungraded Surveys