You can use the Canvas Icon Maker to create icons and buttons in Canvas that link to other content, such as a Module or Page. These icons are more accessible than any images of text you may have used in the past, because they are in SVG format. SVG files do not get blurry when we zoom in or use Canvas on a phone.
- Start by opening the Rich Content Editor (RCE) and then select the Icon Maker
- Enter a name for your icon and provide alt text: the alt text should be the same as the text you’re planning to use in your icon
- Start to edit the shape, size, and colour of your icon: until you give your icon a colour, you won’t see the icon in the preview. Use the Adobe Color Contrast Analyzer (Links to an external site.) to select an accessible colour pallette
- Add your text and edit the colour and position.
- If you like, select an image: the single colour images may work better than the multi colour images
- Select Apply
- Optional: to link your icon to a module or page, select the icon and then select Insert>Link>External/Course Link
To see these instructions in more detail, take a look at How do I create an icon using the Rich Content Editor Icon Maker?
Creating Icons and Buttons in the Rich Content Editor Tech Tip
If you’d prefer to watch a video tutorial, take a look at the video below: