Dissertations & Theses
Selected print dissertations and extended essays from Design History & Theory, Fine Art Critical Studies, and their precursors are held from 1979 onwards. We also hold diploma dissertations from the Mackintosh School of Architecture. You will need to request these from the Library Service Desk, where they will be fetched every 30 minutes.
- DHT & FACS dissertations
- DHT & FACS dissertations awarded distinction only
- DHT & FACS extended essays only (2018 onwards)
- MSA dissertations
We also hold print copies of selected DHT & FACS critical journals and curatorial rationales. These can be requested as described above.
We also hold print copies of dissertations from across a number of Masters programmes. These can be requested as described above.
- Animation dissertations
- Curatorial Practice dissertations
- Heritage Visualisation dissertations
- Master of Fine Art dissertations
- Master of Research in Design dissertations
- Medical Visualisation dissertations
- Serious Games dissertations
- Sound for Moving Image dissertations
Print copies of PhD theses awarded by Glasgow School of Art from 1980 onwards are held in our Special Collections and must be requested in advance here. Digital versions are often also available through RADAR, the School’s institutional repository, depending on permissions and copyright. You may also be able to access or order a digital copy of one of our theses via the British Library’s EThOS service, again depending on copyright and permissions.
- Browse all PhD theses
- Browse for electronic descriptions and full-text in RADAR
- Search for electronic descriptions and full-text in EThOS from the British Library
- Request PhD theses awarded by other institutions through inter-library loan
A number of our PhD theses are practice-based. These can be viewed online, or requested in print, as described above.
Dissertations on Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Dissertations by Notable Alumni
Print undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations by a number of notable Glasgow School of Art alumni are held in our Special Collections and must be requested in advance here. These alumni span the creative fields, and include Peter Capaldi, Douglas Gordon, Peter Howson, Christine Borland, Ken Currie, Muriel Gray, David Shrigley, Alison Watt and Adrian Wisniewski.